Quarterly Global Moped Sharing Market Status Update: Q2 2022
Moped sharing is constantly evolving. In order to share the most relevant content with you, we partner with mopedsharing.com, and stayed up to date on the latest moped sharing news globally. Every quarter, we publish the most noteworthy updates from the moped sharing space and interpret what they mean for the industry.
Last November, we launched our latest annual Global Moped Sharing Market Report. Over the years, this report has become the go-to moped-specific resource for deep dives into trends, key market players, and industry outlooks. Key stats highlighted by the report include: 12 million subscribers are using 110K shared mopeds from 87 operators worldwide, moped sharing is present in 175 cities in 27 countries, and electric mopeds are dominating the sharing space with an electrification rate of 97%. Download the full and complimentary 54-page report here.
Here are some selected news and updates from Q2 2022:
- Lime is testing a new moped-like vehicle in California. The move comes a few months after the company closed their classic moped share service in NYC and DC.
- According to the latest European Shared Mobility Index, the number of shared moped trips grew by 43% from Q1 2021 to Q1 2022 in major European metropolises.
- The above index also stated that Barcelona no longer has the most mopeds per capita, but still the most trips. The new shared moped density leader is Milan.
- The metropolitan region of Barcelona has created a moped sharing board of approx. 90 stakeholders to design the foundations of a future moped sharing scheme. The article described detailed plans and multiple meetings until January 2023.
- Berlin is currently reworking its shared mobility framework together with many stakeholders. The city recently published another draft of the framework.
- European moped sales continued to rise, according to ACEM.
- The impact of chip availability on the growth of vehicle manufacturers is discussed in this growth example of Gogoro. Teaser: Gogoro is good for now, but availability needs to pick up with increasing demand.
- Acciona plans to use old vehicle batteries to build energy storage systems. Unclear whether they will use batteries from their shared fleets.
- GO Sharing announced the introduction of 5,000 additional mopeds into their fleet. At the same time, they closed their last German operations in Saarbrücken and will focus on their other global markets for the time being (Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Austria, Turkey).
- Cooltra invests 2 million EUR in renewing parts of their motosharing fleet – starting in Valencia where they have 70,000 customers.
- Italian data from Cooltra shows how sports events can impact moped sharing demand.
- A new operator, ATR, is starting in Taiwan: The company is about to launch a stationary e-moped sharing in Kaohsiung.
- Another utility company in Germany is launching a fresh e-moped sharing system in three Western German cities: Gelsenkirchen, Gladbeck and Bottrop. Many utility companies run or cooperate with moped sharing systems in Germany.
- Micromobility Industries published an Investor Index showcasing a wide list of VC organizations that financed micromobility in the past.
- Gogoro went public in April and is now listed at the NASDAQ. The manufacturer is now also expanding to Israel.
- GoTo Global received a $5 million strategic investment from Astara.
- Micromobility operator Reby has been acquired by a Canadian private equity firm. Earlier this year, they conducted a rebranding and apparently switched the moped model and are eying the US market.
Select new city launches:
- Batumi (Qari)
- Gelsenkirchen (Ella)
- Bottrop (Ella)
- Gladbeck (Ella)
- Bitterfeld-Wolfen (Zoom Sharing)
- Astypaleia (Astygo)
- Bologna (Elerent)
- Montepulciano (Elerent)
- Almere (GO Sharing)
- Hengelo (felyx)
- Palma (e-BikeKing Sharing)
- Kaohsiung (ATR, about to launch)
- Long Beach (Lime, lightweight moped)
Thanks to everybody that sent in news from the sector. We’d like to keep you updated on what is happening in the global moped sharing market. The next quarterly update will be released in October 2022; subscribe to our news updates to stay in the loop.